Users of Windows PCs need a powerful anti-virus program to protect themselves from malware attacks, ensure the efficiency of their computers, and protect their online identities and personal information. The paid antivirus suites have many features to protect children online, manage security on mobile devices, and monitor a computer’s firewall, software updates, and other features. However, some users may or may not pay an annual subscription fee for these additional features.
If you are looking for this, this article is for you. We’ve tested the most widely used free antivirus software for the protection against malware, system impact, usability, and useful features.
Not only will computers need to be protected from viruses today, but also malware (spyware, adware, etc.), including unpredictable zero-day malware. In other words, we live in a moment when antivirus protection is not enough to protect computers. Let’s take a look at the best free antivirus packages in today’s IT security industry (today’s antivirus program is adequate for all types of malware), so you can use one of them.
However, first understand the criteria or factors that helped build this improved list of antiviruses to get an idea of why we list what we list.
- Spyware and Malware Analysis: Ability to quickly scan, remove spyware and malware.
- Download Protection: Protection against online downloads, including automatic downloads.
- E-mail analysis: E-mail analysis for potential threats.
- Detection Speed and rate: How fast can scans be performed for detection rates?
- Compatibility: What is the compatibility with other devices?
- Automatic Updates: Possibility of automatic updates at regular intervals.
Best Free Antivirus 2019 – Updated list of programs
- Comodo Free Antivirus
- Kaspersky Antivirus
- BitDefender Antivirus
- Avast Pro Antivirus
- McAfee Antivirus
Comodo Free Antivirus
We had no problems with the provision of this antivirus to No. 1 because it easily defeats the other competent programs. Comodo Free Antivirus targets PC users with technical knowledge and “caution.” It has enough advanced features that allow users to find “that they are free.” Above all, it has the potential to combat modern and ever-changing malware effectively.
- Default denial approach: Using this technology (exclusive to Comodo), this antivirus package ensures that all types of security threats are denied access until they prove harmless, a pretty useful feature.
- Containment and HIPS: When mitigated, this antivirus package can correctly “contain” the new malware and run it in a separate environment without affecting the user’s PC. The Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) is a great way to perform full PC scans and detect suspicious activity.
- Protection against malicious software without files: Malicious software without files can be difficult to detect because it works well without leaving any traces. With Comodo Antivirus, you can successfully identify this type of malware without a record.
- Ability to deal with zero-day malware: Most security issues are due to unknown malware (or zero-day malware) that was previously unrecognized and therefore difficult to predict. The Comodo antivirus program has sufficient functionality to ensure proper management of zero-day malware. It is what sets this antivirus apart from others in the IT security industry.
Another IT security giant that successfully protects PCs against all types of malware, bots, worms, rootkits, Trojans, spyware, and viruses is Kaspersky. It also includes other features such as scheduling scans, adjusting security levels, enabling certain features, and so on, in short, powerful anti-virus software for your PC.
Bit Defender is effective at successfully blocking and neutralizing infections. Because it’s incredibly lightweight, it successfully protects networks without overloading them. Therefore, another anti-virus protection software laudable for downloading.
Avast Pro Antivirus
Offering different levels of protection for your PC, Avast Pro has been in the industry for a long time and deserved mention. The malicious software that leverages the heuristic engine successfully captures the malware that conventional scanners usually overlook.
One of the few antivirus programs that protects without disrupting too much. It’s a perfect tool for the person who usually does online shopping. It protects against all types of malware. It also has automatic updates. Hence, another excellent option for users.
How we evaluated the results
To assess the installation, usability, user interface, and performance impact, we installed each AV program on the same Asus X555LA laptop using Windows 10 with a 6 GB Intel Core i3-4005U processor RAM and 36 GB of data on a 500 GB hard drive.
We tested how each antivirus product affected our laptop’s performance by using our custom OpenOffice benchmark. We programmed the time required to perform a quick and complete scan while the handset processes the numbers in the background.
We also evaluated the usability of each program, the amount of useful additional features (including free add-on software) and the insistence that each program prompts us to update the payment software.
Our malware detection data comes from four evaluation labs: AV-TEST in Germany, AV-Comparatives in Austria, SE Labs in England and our lab in Utah. Each lab regularly reviews key antivirus products for detection of zero-day malware and other threats.